North Central College
Undergraduate Research in the Life Sciences
[Student Researcher] [Student Researcher] [Student Researcher] [Student Researcher]

North Central students don't just talk about science:
they do science.

Wherever your life-science degree takes you, you'll need quality, hands-on experience with the way science works. At North Central College, every Biology or Biochemistry major graduates with research experience! Your opportunities include:

An intensive summer research experience, carrying out your own research project in collaboration with a faculty member. Research areas include amphibian pathogens, beer flavor, aging, fruit-fly development, "green" chemistry, tropical ecology and more. Funding may be available. Click here for a summer research application.

Research at NCC during the academic year, including our three-week D-term. Many faculty members are happy to have you work with them if you can commit as few as 5-10 hours/week to research; you can also earn independent study credit for this work.

Research courses are a good way for students not planning research careers to get a taste of research. The laboratory portion of these courses involve a significant, inquiry-based independent project and fill the research requirement for graduation. Current research courses in the life sciences include Animal Behavior (BIO 405), Environmental Biology (BIO 416), Developmental Genetics (BIO 430), Infectious Disease (BIO 440), and Advanced Topics (BCM 465).

Off-campus opportunities are plentiful, including summer programs at many colleges and universities and internship opportunities at nearby companies and national laboratories. How to find an opportunity:

Presenting your work is a key part of being a scientist. North Central researchers routinely present their work at conferences ranging from our Biology-Chemistry Seminar or NCC's annual Rall Symposium to the National Conference on Undergraduate Research or a professional meeting in your area of interest. Travel funding may be available through the Office of Academic Opportunities.

NCC's Richter Independent Study Fellowships can provide funding for special projects involving travel. For example, science students have recently gone to Germany to study antioxidants from plants, to Arizona to study science education techniques and to China to study the relationship of Western and Asian medicine.